Previous Press Releases
New year sees nonprofit Bellwether League expanding role beyond professional recognition
As nonprofit, Foundation plans more educational offerings and scholarships
SCHAUMBURG, IL (January 7, 2021) – As the clock struck midnight on January 1, Bellwether League Inc. officially became Bellwether League Foundation, offering the healthcare supply chain industry and profession several new opportunities.
Among the newly added improvements:
- Bellwether League Foundation now operates as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization so donations and sponsorships qualify as tax-deductible charitable contributions. Previously, Bellwether League Inc. operated as a 501(c)6 not-for-profit corporation for 13 years so donations and sponsorships only could be deducted as business expenses.
- Bellwether League Foundation plans more educational content online and on-demand through its “Leaders & Luminaries” podcasts, publication and webcasts, as well as through the annual Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership Forum.
- Bellwether League Foundation plans a variety of educational scholarships to qualified college-bound high school students, qualified current collegiate students and to qualified active professionals.
- The annual Bellwether Induction Dinner Event, which went virtual last October due to the pandemic, has been rebranded the Bellwether League Foundation Induction & Recognition Event (BLFIRE) to provide multimedia flexibility – whether live or streaming on-demand online.
Among the consistent and valued offerings:
- Bellwether League Foundation continues to honor and recognize supply chain excellence through its Future Famers, Ammer Honoree and Bellwether Honoree awards that span and celebrate entire careers from beginning to middle to end.
- BLFIRE 14 currently is scheduled for Monday, October 4, 2021. Depending on pandemic developments, the fourth quarter 2021 event either will be a hybrid or live-streaming and on-demand virtual event.
- Bellwether League Foundation’s 8th Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership Forum is scheduled for May 2021 as a virtual event.
- Bellwether League Foundation’s Leaders & Luminaries publication is scheduled for online posting twice this year in late winter and late summer.
“As the supply chain continues to be challenged from all of the lessons of the past year, it has become even more evident that the support of leadership in this area is critical,” said Deborah Templeton, R.Ph., Chairman, Bellwether League Foundation. “There is no more a powerful force than people coming together to recognize their history, to honor its contributors and to recognize and support current leaders in their efforts to continually develop the healthcare supply chain. From the past we will draw inspiration and guidance. From the current day, we will draw strength from recognizing those in the field developing the supply chain now and in the future. To be remembered is to be honored and cared for. We need to unite to bring strength to drive the work that needs to be done, to care for the industry and its people.”
About Bellwether League
Bellwether League Foundation comprises two operating divisions that educate, endow and evaluate professionals in healthcare supply chain performance excellence: The Hall of Fame for Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership and Bellwether Philanthropy.
The Hall of Fame for Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership evaluates and validates professionals submitted for consideration in its three award programs: Bellwether Honorees, Future Famers and Ammer Honorees. The Hall of Fame also offers educational content via the Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership Forum and its “Leaders & Luminaries” multimedia brand of live, online and printed content.
The Board selects deceased, retired and currently active professionals with a minimum of 25 years of exemplary service and leadership performance in supply chain operations that meet its criteria to be recognized publicly as Bellwether Class Honorees. Those honored demonstrate their qualifications by advancing the profession through work experience and performance and active participation in professional organizations and their communities.
Honorees include professionals from hospitals and other healthcare providers, manufacturers and distributors of healthcare products and services, group purchasing organizations, consulting firms, educational institutions and media outlets.
Future Famers represent supply chain professionals early in their healthcare careers who do not yet qualify for Bellwether consideration but have contributed meaningfully to the healthcare supply chain profession.
Honorees who receive the “Dean S. Ammer Award for Healthcare Supply Chain Performance Excellence” represent noteworthy executives and professionals in the middle of their careers who, through their innovative leadership and influential project management experience, best exemplify the practice and spirit of healthcare supply chain performance excellence.
To date, The Hall of Fame for Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership has honored 120 innovators, leaders and pioneers in healthcare supply chain management in five distinct categories: Education & Media, Supply Chain Management, Group Purchasing, Supplier and Consulting Services. Bellwether League also has recognized 30 Future Famers, and one Ammer Honoree.
Bellwether Philanthropy offers scholarships to college-bound high school students who plan to study supply chain curricula, current collegiate students who major in supply chain-related careers and professionals who pursue continuing education through associations and universities.
Launched in late July 2007 by a group of influential veterans in the healthcare supply chain industry, Bellwether League Foundation began as a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit corporation that identifies and honors men and women who have demonstrated significant leadership in, influence on and contributions to the healthcare supply chain. It upgraded to a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in January 2021.
Bellwether League Foundation currently is funded by six Founding and Platinum Sponsors – HealthTrust, Intalere, Owens & Minor, Premier, Vizient and Wingfoot Media – and a host of additional sponsors.
For more information on how to become a sustaining or corporate sponsor or to nominate Bellwether Honoree and Future Famer candidates visit BellwetherLeague.org.